Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2024

My Year of Making and Healing POST 3: THE SEWING MACHINE

 (In case you missed it, I introduce this series here.)

Soon after I arrived home from my year-long trip, I purchased a sewing machine. Supposedly a “heavy duty” one, but really it is about the same quality as the everyday sewing machine I learned on over 50 years ago. In the coming months, I would churn out many satisfying projects.


I would be living with both my son Ben and my daughter Rebecca, so we needed to find and furnish a larger apartment. She had been living in furnished apartments, but the one we chose was a 3-bedroom unfurnished with a large deck overlooking the back yard. Every room needed stuff to fill it and we had a very restricted budget. Rebecca is a wizard with Facebook marketplace and we have all been thrift store shoppers forever. We had a great deal of fun over the next months decorating both inside and out. (More to come about that.)

The Cabinet!!!

One accidental find was my sewing machine cabinet. I was not planning to have one—to just put the machine on a table as I had done for years. But Rebecca was picking up a used television table from a graduating college student and I accompanied her. The student’s roommate just happened to mention that she had an old sewing machine cabinet that she just used as a side table. She did not know I had a new sewing machine. She also did not know how the cabinet worked--she had just used it as a side table. Were we, by any chance, interested? $25! My eyes went wide, and we went upstairs to investigate. Wow! It was one of those cabinets that easily raises and lowers your machine with a pneumatic lift! It was meant to be! There are no such things as coincidences!